Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cactus..........A Day Late.


I did get the site created but I did get busy yesterday at school.  I had a break but it was a trying day working a lot of one on one student situations.  The post didn't go up yesterday but it will today.

I seem to have plant friends that want me to be a cactus collector.  I receive a large cactus from the neighbor last fall.  This past week I was given more cactus as a school coworker was repotting and reworing her cactus collection.

Not want to make to many more containers to maintain, I crowded in different varieties into the one stone crockery.  I found some bad looking dirt to add to the container and put a few in with the larger one from last year.



Because there was so much in the sack when I started planting I decided right away I would have a nursery pot of the leftover pieces.  Some pieces were over a foot long and I cut them up to make new starts as well get them into a good size to handle.  One doesn't handle cactus but hot dog tongs work great and a very sharp knife does work in cutting them.



This photo shows the two containers that I ended up planting.  I tried to create some desert scene adding petrified wood pieces and shoreline rocks at the base of them.  The round one is said to have come from Peru.  I recongize the one on front left as the one we can readily find in stores today, in lumber yards actually.



This photo shows the actual height of the one cactus I was given last year. It has grown even though it is hard to see where the growth developed.  The little tiny cactus is like the one we use to have when I was a kid that people would share with one another and grow in pots.

The other part of my collection is the prickly pear cactus that I rescued from off the ground in the alley a few years back.  A neighbor had tossed it out there to dispose of it and I picked it up and put it in a clay pot.  It is doing ok but I don't like how it doesn't keep a good orderly shape.  In reality it probably doesn't keep a good shape either.  When it is a crowded plant it probably stands up better.



















I still have my cold and was glad I didn't have to do Saturday school.  I don't plan on doing much as I need to feel better.  My wife and I will go to Walmart with the neighbor for a short shopping spree and lunch but then it is home for a nap.  We are overcast today and going to be 63 degrees F. today.  Scattered showers are forecasted and that could land anywhere in the state. 

Enjoy you weekend and have a good day.  Thanks for stopping by.




The

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always say that when you miss a day posting, that the world does not stop!!! I did, HOWEVER, realize that you did not post yesterday!!!
It's fun to see your plants potted up. Funny how everyone wants you to be the cactus grower!
It is very dreary/foggy here today after yesterday's rain.
We plan a quick trip out to lunch and then we will be in for the day.
Take care of that bad cold.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope you cold gets better. You are a cactus grower for sure...I think those prickly pear cactus can grow anywhere:)

Vicki Lane said...

Your collections look great! Cactus is so forgiving ... and I love it when they bloom!