Friday, July 12, 2019

Friday’s Finds....


A volunteer tomato is grown among the marigolds.  One can’t eat marigolds so the tomato plant stays. The clover weed can go if I remember to stop by and pull it.

This form of marigold is doing well here growing larger that all of its cousins. I like to surround the tomatoes with marigolds.  I think the bed is far great in looks than just have tomatoes only in the bed. I was told once that it also is good to keep insects away from the tomato plants.


When the zinnias finally germinated they are really now taking off, filling up the area. I am really happy with the raised bed.  I have two bags of dirt ready to add to the bed but I may have to add a few ups at a time to not mess with the plantings.

I was thinking for a while that I  wasn’t going to have zinnias at all. They are catching up with our season and they will bloom all summer.  I have never put petunias along the edge before so wee will see if they will get crowded out.

I painted the end of the old kitchen at the old place today.  The 1900’s cedar is still on that one side and it just not hold paint. I have replaced most of the old cedar on the whole house but there were some areas just did fine without replacement.  I scraped on it on Tuesday and again today while putting on a new coat of paint.  I could scrape down to the original white paint on cedar in some of the places. I did get the job done and it looks so good. I have some trim boards around windows to repaint the next time I get up there. Painting and scraping is hard work but the moving the ladders really tires me out more.  I painted most of the kitchen part with step ladder but when I got to the peak I knew that I was not going to dangle on the step ladder to get to it. Cosmetically the whole side looks so much better but I could see that siding really needs to be replaced.

I remember buying this for my mom a long time ago.  She was a gardener but I do remember she thought it was a bad deal that she had to wait a whole year to see it bloom.  I have  a different  opinion, that if I can get it into the ground I know I have made a great investment and that sooner or later I will be glad to see it, year after year.  I moved this to the old place and now it is blooming at the new place.  I am sure the people in Osceola, Iowa are enjoying all those things that I planted outside their back door.

I am really glad to see that this moved successfully.  It is its first time blooming for me here.  The cupola is crowding it a lot but the daylily is tough and it will juts grow away form it. The colors of this one is a subtle blends of orange. I bought this at an arboretum sale when they would put many pots of unknown together and sell them sight unseen.

I am going to have to go back a year on my blog to find out about this.  I don’t know if I moved it or bought it new.  It isn’t really a tiger lily but it does have its spots. The petal shapes make it an Asiatic lily.

It is Friday already.  The week has flown by this week.  We spent one day taking a friend to the doctor and yesterday with friends from Colorado.  It shortens the week but it was a good week. I thank you for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

Funny about the surprise tomato plant. I love all of these flowers. Our zinnia seeds never came up. Today at the garden center, we bought a few zinnia plants. A white zinnia plant had been marked down to 50 cents! I love a bargain plant! We did have to put snail be gone around the base of our marigolds, but now the plants are thriving. I wish you both a nice weekend. Take care.
I know the work at your old house is hard in this summer heat.
Our home sold today.

Rose said...

I love the yellow spotted lily...yes it looks like an Asiatic lily to me.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your garden is filling out very nicely! :)