Monday, July 1, 2019

Monday’s Moments......


The buds have been showing for a lot of days but Saturday night the magic did begin.  I looked and saw the bottom blooms are starting on the hollyhocks.

I brought the entire clump of the plant down from the old place. I didn’t have many plants there but this one was a tough one.  It took a year to get established and now it  is blooming. It has tall stems on it making it look like the old traditional plant.  The former owner had well nourished soil so the plant really flourished.
The height of them are over six feet, taller than me for sure. There is another hollyhock in the garden which I think that I bought at a nursery.

My cupola from my garden shed has been restored. The sides of this had rotted all along its base so I removed and replace them.  The louver pieces were easy to remove and replace on the new sides.

The original location of the piece is shown here.  I really doubt the future new owner would have rebuilt this so I just took it down.  The new thing that has happened with this shed is an added power pole.  A few weeks ago the power company put in a brand new pole that sticks up directly behind the shed making the shed looks like it has a growth coming out of its roof. I can see that I left off a piece of wood trim on the bottom of it. Maybe I can put that on this fall when I don’t have to worry about tramping out plants.


I am going to move some zinnias around this morning and get some more complete rows.  They came up so different that I can plug in plants to fill in the blank spaces. The one row is almost ready to start blooming while others have just now poked through that commercial soil mix. It will be hot to do the job but I move enough roots intact that it doesn’t mess up the seedlings to badly.  They do wilt but come back to life over night.

The raised bed looks spotty with plants but the hot weather will make those plants grow bigger in a short period of time. I planted sunflower seeds but nothing seems to be coming up yet. I may plant some more seed again to see if I just didn’t do it right.  Usually sunflowers are like melon seeds and you just stick it in the ground and it grows.

Working around the house today getting odd jobs done.  I don’t like to weed eat but I guess I will anyway.  Watering everything this morning to get it refreshed for another very hot and humid day. The high humidity helps the flowers but that heat is still hard on them.

Thanks for looking in on my post today.

2 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

The cupola turned out great. With the hollyhocks nearby, it truly looks like a cottage garden. It has been hot and humid here (95) but thunder and rain are happening now. So thankful we don't have to water tonight!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your cupola looks great! Perfect spot for it! :)