Friday, March 13, 2009

Art bound outing.....


We are on our way this morning to the Des Moines Art Center, to view Grant Wood's "American Gothic" for real. We both have seen it many times in print, and in fact we painted it for a bank business as a company picnic fun item. We were asked to paint it with them standing and cut holes for their heads so people could pop there heads through the back and be photographed. The last time we saw it was on TV news where it apparently had been donated to the Historical Building in downtown Des Moines. I don't think Della and I signed it, but we know who painted it. Anyway, lunch at the art center and viewing art. We might even feel human for a change. I finished teaching my last adult teacher mentoring class for second year teachers. I am still numb to the fact that it is done. I will get back to you on how the day went. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Erin said...

We've been meaning to take an afternoon and see that, walk around and have lunch there as well. I've only been there once - on a field trip in 6th grade, so I wasn't old enough to appreciate it. I couldn't wait to go down to the pond down the road. We later went to the Jordan House - a place I DID appreciate at the time, but would appreciate a bit more now.

L. D. said...

You would like it, it is fun. The cafe is pricey but you only do it once in a while. It's a busy place, and Grant Woods picture of the couple is amazing. Good to hear from you.

Erin said...

Kind of figured the cafe would be a bit expensive for a cafe, but maybe not so awful for a salad and tea...or maybe so.