Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Finches and Parakeets...



I have many birds. My first birds were given to me while I was teaching. I was given three female Zebra finches. I bought a male finch and the rest is history. I have given finches to so many people. When I quit teaching they had to come home with me.
A few years back, while I had the finches in my classroom a nice guy, redhead boy in school walked up to me and said do you want a parakeet. He told me his story about the cat killing its mate and he said the remaining parakeet, named Mikey had safety issues all the time. He said I will give you the cage, everything and you can just keep it here at school. Great, I kept him at school, so when summer break took place, I brought home the parakeet. Bought him a partner, and they both lived very well for a couple of years, then Mikey died. Last year, another high school student said he had a cage and a parakeet for me, his parents hated the bird because it was too loud during the evening while watching television. Ok, I thought, I have one lonely parakeet, I will take this other one and eventually put them together. Bird books say never quickly introduce a new bird to a cage as they may become aggressive and kill one or another. So we kept the two in different cages for a month or two. Finally I got tired of cleaning two cages, put the one with the other and wow, they just loved each other. They spent days just grooming each other and being so happy that they had company. As you can see one is larger and greener than the other one that is yellow. They are quite an interesting pair. I have another set of birds to tell you about but that will be another day. Those really reproduced well, also. Thanks for reading.....

No comments: