Monday, March 9, 2009

Family photos.....

I was going to use this for my photo of the day, but I thought maybe a photo of photos wouldn't be right, plus I would write too much for that blog. I write too much for all blogs.
This is one of the two displays that we had for my mother's funeral. I took pictures of them before we removed them from the foamcore backings. I didn't really think they would mean that much to me but I thought I could send them to my brothers so they would have the memories. I guess I still have the pictures unless they ask for some of them.
When you look at just one family and all the extensions to one family, you see life is diverse and so many people having so many experiences. My Dad, Mom, and my Brother have passed away. My brother's son died when he was a little over two years old. The large group of people show some of the sisters and brothers on my dad's side and they are all gone. And one of my nieces is about to give birth to her second child. Those pictures tell only the present, when they were taken, but not the future.
When you study these from a family frame of mind, you can see that my parents had done a lot of things, fun things. You can see pictures of their 50th anniversary, their riding in a boat in Arizona, them out on the desert and riding dune buggies, attending my wedding to Della with the two then young boys in cute little suits, and always holding the visiting grandchildren and great grandchildren form California, Arizona, or Minnesota. There is really nothing profound one can say about this composition, but the place of collages of pictures at funerals seem to be common any more, and as you view them, they are our last tangible, visual, record of lives lived. Not one picture of my mom could be shown independently, as her husband , her kids, her grandkids and great grandkids are evidence of a good long life lived. Thanks for reading.

No comments: