Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Oldies Things..


 The glass duck is from the past.  I was in college and went to a farm auction in southern Iowa with my dad during the summer.  The farm auction was one of a man named Horton.  He was the brother of my step family of John and Iva Horton who I was so close to like grandparents. Their farm was west of John's brother farm.  Looking through many cardboard boxes filled with many things I found one that had glass items inside of it along with a whole lot of junky things.  The duck was in there and one other glass item that had a lid with a small deer on the top of it.  I think the box was filled up from a bedroom dresser's collection as powder and things like that were in the box.  I got to bid on it myself and it cost me fifty cents.  John and his brother were a couple of old farmers who helped each other out on their farms. 



The combination of the rocker with a patio chair cushion is probably wrong.  I placed it there temporarily when I was bringing them in and though that it does fit the chair.  The rocker is oak and was one of my wife's grandfather.  It has burn marks on the arm rest where his pipe tobacco fell onto it.  I think that the chair is a Stickley designed chair. 


The support system at the bottom of the chair is different so the mission styled chair may be a good copy by another company.  The chair from the net is worth fifteen hundred dollars.  There is not cushion in this chair of ours but the seat has been carved to make it easier to sit on. It is not a comfortable chair though and it could use a cushion.



Other old things that hang around in the house is this quilt top. It is old but never been made into a quilt.  It does have a flaw as the bottom corner of it was finished with different blue materials. I guess they run out of the dark blue material and they thought they just had to finish it.  My mom inherited the top from older friends of hers who thought she might turn it into a quilt anyway. With the waste not, want not idea it would make up to be a funny looking quilt.  I think the white pieces are from four sacks and maybe even the blue one are also from flour sacks.



An old but not so old thing is this coke bottle. A student of mine from many years ago sold me this Santa Claus bottle.  Her grandmother had painted on it and was selling them.  The bottle is a small special size in remembrance of the Coke company's history.  I emptied up a basket of stray items from the move to the new place and there it was.   I really thought I had thrown it away. I don't know if there is coke still in it or if they hammered the lid back on it after they poured the liquid out of it. I have had it for a very long time and I just don't remember the student's name who sold it to me.  The grandma was a creative person who found a way to make some money.

Warming temps for us today is welcomed. It will take most the day to get it to warm up to 61 degrees, F. but I am glad of it.  I may have to mulch up some leaves this afternoon under one of my trees. I did go to the one of my three doctors yesterday.  He gave me advice about how hard I could or should not work.

Thanks for checking in today.




2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow that gal was a painter! Such a cool idea! :)

Val Ewing said...

I love all of these old cool things. I purchased quite a few odd and wonderful things at my MIL's auction when she had to move to a home. I ended up with some wonderful things.
I loved browsing through these.
One of my favorite bedspreads came from an Iowa Farm auction. I have a pretty little container like the glass duck that I use to store our rings in!

That Santa bottle is sure unique!