Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Table Talk while in the Clouds.....


 

Looking southeast the sun is covered by the clouds. It is not a bright day and it is predicted that we will be covered with clouds all day.

 


 

Looking in the opposite direction there is a pleasant, calmer look to the sky.  It looks good but it still is hazy and dull out there.



The freeze gives me not excuse now to not trim down the zinnias.  It isn't a pretty sight but snow will be coming next. The winds have been cold from the north and a coat and stocking cap is required attire. 


Having the table upside down worked best even though I had to get down on the floor to coat the varnish.  I discovered things on the slide jams of the table that gave me some history.  The table can be spread open to take on three boards to make it a longer table.  


I discovered that the company that mad the sliding mechanism got the patent on December 20, 1871. 


I can also read a partial name of the company which is Jam Slide.  Patent dates don't date the table but is does tell me when the company first started making those parts. If I weren't so lazy I could take the beam off of the table and read it all but I am not ambitious enough to do that. 



I learned a new finishing process from a women who was from Aplington, Iowa.  She rubbed her hand over one of my pieces of furniture and in a scolding voice you didn't use fine steel wool and paste wax on this.  It takes off all the bumps left from the finish and it enhances the surface. It creates an hand polished finish.  I have done that process now ever since 1980s.  As you can see the burl pattern in the walnut shows up great with the waxed finish. 

Thanks for stopping by today.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a pretty table! Stay warm! It is cold here too!