Friday, July 17, 2020

Christmas Gifts in July.....


It is not a tiger lily but it has the coloring.  It just doesn't have the shape of the flower. I would show you a tiger lily but two voles ate up the bulb over the winter time.


I was going to start with photo and title it "Christmas in July."I have a lot of storyI could tell  you about my gift from a former student. The chest of drawers has a long history but I will share that all later. The photo gives the clue of what it will look like.

Eric had seen me posting things on facebook that I had refinished during this lock down.  He told me on a message that he had something to rehome from his late dad's home.  This piece is like one I would have been wanting to own when I would see them at antique stores and never ever imagine that I would own it. I really am getting to be too old to add more furniture to the collection of my lifetime. Yes, the thing is all faced with walnut and the pulls I am assuming are carved walnuts.  I was so impressed that this former student wanted to give this to me. It will need mild sanding a glue to make it stand upright again. I picked it sight unseen this morning from the dad's farm near my old house's town.


Another shot of the young cardinal. Thanks again for stopping by today.

Stay safe and strong.

4 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

Beautiful flowers. The furniture piece is gorgeous. Such a treasure. Cute to see the young Cardinal. I purchased a hummingbird feeder today.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a wonderful gift! I can see it will be a beauty. Asiatic Lilys come in lots of colors...that Yellow Lily is a beauty!

Dolly said...

That is a beautiful Lily ! Asiatic?

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It may mean an additional project to work on, Larry, but that was a nice and unexpected gift and sure you will share the restoration at some future time. The young cardinal was great to see and lilys are beautiful in their variety.