Friday, October 14, 2022

Friday Fun.....

 

The morning view looks like we had a promise of a good day. It wasn't really sunny out there.  It was cold and not that nice to be outside today.  I still feel chilled from the time that I did spend out there.  I still have a lot of work to do outside before it starts to snowwwwwwwww!



Yesterday I took out the last of the tomatoes and did see that I had a few stray onions still in the ground.  The ground was hard and dry and I had to dig around to find them as the tops of them were all dried up and gone. 


The stray zinnia was clipped off while I was cutting back tomato stems.  The zinnias are in decline  but a few good blooms are there. 



This is a disturbing view is of the vine that I am removing.  I have two of the panels down now and one yet to go. 


One garden magazine called it a thug vine.  I am glad I finally decided to take it out of there.  It was so much work to try to keep it looking like a vine. I have ordered new white trellises to replace this.



This is a visual of the innocent looking vine.  I saved a piece back just to share.  I will be fighting the vine in areas for a few years as it has spread all over the parts of that end of my garden. I did not plant this vine just in case you haven't heard.



While photographing my work I turned and took this pleasant view of the rose. The late buds are now blooming and they are not bothered by the cold yet. 

Saturday is coming. Thanks for stopping by today.




1 comment:

KCD said...

Yarrow is another plant I would consider a "thug". We got ours thru a wildflower seed packet that we planted maybe 5-6 years ago. At first, the Yarrow flowers looked nice, but what passes for leaves on the plant form a thick invasive mat that crowds out anything else, and it spreads rapidly. We soon realized we had invited a criminal into the garden.

It has taken hours and hours of work to get rid of most of it. The underground roots spread and spread, and the only way to get rid of them without poisoning everything, is to pull them out. It is a constant battle, one that we will never win, but we have knocked it back to the nooks and crannies here and there, and we will claim the rest that flower bed back. We will never get completely rid of it, so there will always be little wars and skirmishes with it, but we have the upper hand now. It is kind of like that relative that every one has, the one you try not to associate with.

So, unless all you want is Yarrow in your flower bed, don't ever introduce that "thug" plant, it will take over everything