Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Back In Time....


 It is an old photo taken by my nephew 25 or 30 years ago you can see my dad in his bib overalls. The location is on a hill along highway 34 in southern Iowa.  The location is near Murray, Iowa. Dad passed in 2000 and is buried near there in the Murray Cemetery. 

The unique history story is of course the threshing machine and the old barn.  I think the barn is now gone and I am not sure if the machine still sits there along the highway.  Just to the south of this place is a ravine along the rolling hills that shows the wear and tear of the Morman Trail. The souther rout of of the Mormans passed there down through the valley and up another ravine that ends up in Murray.  The trail went along an area of the town before the town was founded and it is now a main east/west street of the town.  My grandma owned a house next to the trail. A hand carved sigh is on a post there to mark its memory. 



As the weather patterns move and change as we move into fall our sunsets look like this in suburbia. The angle of the sun is changing and the reflections of light look more fall-like. 



The heat and cold has weathered my hosta. When we get a good freeze it will be flattened. We had a half inch rain that was much needed a couple of days. 

 


 The zinnias are fading too as the mature into dead heads. They look good at a distance and I have a few weeks before I will have to clear them. I saw a black swallowtail flying around there yesterday from the distance of the sunroom so you can see I don't have a photo of it. People who raise milkweeds are having abundant hatching of monarch butterflies this time of the year.  I would like to do that but I would have to fine a country gravel road in which I could dig up some plants. 

 

 

I am under the weather health-wise right now but I did muster up some energy to go take photos last evening.  We hit the supermarket and pharmacy and stocked up on things yesterday.  I had to take a rest after that adventure.  Thanks for stopping by today.




3 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

We forget how recently farming methods 'modernized'. Nice to see the old threshing machine.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice old photo! I hope you are feeling better! :)

L. D. said...

I originally called it a thrashing machine because I originated in Southern Iowa where we say things differently. Threshing is the true word but I bet most people down there don't say it that way still today.