Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Wednesday's Wims.....


 It really isn't that pretty but it is interesting how it turned partially red for the second year.  The greenhouse treatment makes the first year plants do just the right thing to get vivid red leaves.


While digging throught the chest of drawers in the nook downstairs I noticed I had a glass collection ready for display. The candle holder is a new one in years comparted to the other three. The lidded piece came from a box at a Jesse Horton auction. It was a box full of nothing but a couple of old things were in the box. I was still in college when I bought it from the auction in far southern Iowa. 


The nook in the basement off of the bathroom is a great place to display old things. The oil glass lamp is from my Grandmother's place in Murray.  My dad retrieved it from the basement back in 1957.  I claimed it later in my high school years as it laid out in a wooden barrel in the machine shed. 

The print of the Chinese woman is one from an old furniture store.  In older days than when I was alive the store would buy prints and frame them, cutting up their own frames from moldings. This one didn't ever sell as I retrieved it from the furniture store back in the late 1970's. The oval picture is aso from that same furniture store. 

The mirror was given to us by our late friend Shary.  She knew things were not going well with her cancer and she started giving away things to us each time we picked her up to take her for chemo treatments. Things range from the mirror to baskets, books and magazines also. One time she gave us some honey and biscuits with a special spoon

The tin container is one from an far time ago when they sold coconut in metal cans. In fact a lot of different things sold in those kind of containers. I just remembered that the bras bowl came from an garage sale 45  years ago when brass from India was popular. 


I worked briefly this morning in one of the garden areas. I cut back old sedum stems and asparagus stems from last years plants. I also tried to deal with the old leaves from the flag iris.  I don't remember that they were so hard to remove but my clippers were dull.  I had a hard time with that so I will return another day for that job.  I had cut back a climbing rose on Monday and all the debris is now piled in one place for me to bag up and toss. 


I have been bothered that the top pictures are not all at the same level.  With my compulsive behavior I used a tape measure and moved the nail to get them to hang level, and not downhill. We have had a gallery in our old house and I was always moving pictures around as my wife would sell something. The multiple nail holes left from the moving caused me to repaint the walls about every five years and fill the holes. Right now one can't see the holes as the paintings cover them up. 

I have done more than I should today so I will rest for the rest of my time. Thanks for checking in today.

3 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

It is fun to see your poinsettia turning red. How special to have some items from Shary. My mother had an oil lamp that had belonged to her grandmother. Larry enjoys burning it in his home occasionally. Your glass collection is pretty. Working in flower beds is hard work after a very long year of being indoors. Hope you wont be too tired and sore. Take care.

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice art gallery!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow nice art gallery!! I can see they are all hanging straight across the top now:)