Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Cool Day Tuesday.....


 My fern leafed peony had to be moved so it didn't put out many blooms. I will photograph daily so as not to lose a single shot of them.  They will be gone soon. My memories of the plant is that it can get frosted as it does bloom earlier than a lot of other plants. 

It is a little early for the blooms of the lily of the valley but this is evidence that I will have them. They are doing well and I want to move some of them after they have quit blooming.


The wagon wheel is big and I am slowly getting it moved from out of my garage and taking it down the hill to the back yard. I was going to give it to my brother-in-law but now circumstances have changed so I guess I will find a place to display it here. That is a very heavy wheel so I can roll it a little at a time. I am concerned that if I lose control of it that it would go down and wipe out a fence section.  Globe allium is the name of the plant and I always have to look it up to get the spelling correct. 


I like how it multiplies as the years go by. It is a part of the onion family and I think globemaster is another name for it.


I planted this last year and it has returned in full glory. I was surprised that it scattered seeds after it bloomed and I have it coming up in my neighbor's rock landscape that is right next to this. I use to have the wild variety of columbine and it didn't seem to spread at all. 

 

I did not see this bloom last year as the voles destroyed a lot of things in this area. I was really surprised to see this one blooming this year from seed of the original plant. You can see it is close to my neighbors rock garden.  He has plastic and rocks there to keep down the weeds. It is on the property line.  My white iris is growing into his side and when it finishes blooming this year I will did it on that line and move it. 


Here is a blurry shot of the buds that I have on one of my iris.  It just show up over night when I was not expecting it. The white iris has buds also but this one is a different color. It seems to be too cold to plant the rest of my tomatoes today.  We are 45 degrees F. and it doesn't promise to warm up much today. We are sunny though but the wind makes it feel a lot colder.  I may go outside later anyway and will just wear more than short sleeves.  Thanks for checking in today.

4 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

Hello, you have a lovely group of flowers blooming. I love each one. So grateful some came back from seed. I want to see the iris when it opens.

Rose said...

I love your flowers...my Allium are blooming, too...I don't know why I have not taken a single photo of them. I love columbine but have never tried to get them to grow here.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I know this alium is a member of the onion family. I have never heard for Fern Leaved Peony; it is so large and beautiful.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Columbine are beautiful! :)