Sunday, May 23, 2021

Sunshine on Sunday.....


 A newer hybrid that hasn't bloomed for me before this season. It was planted next to the fence and it never bloomed.


In contrast to the top photo this is a cemetery iris. It is sold as a dwarf one but its history is far older than the modern iris companies will lead you to believe. This kind of iris was used to create the hybrid iris of today. I collected this iris from a cemetery where it was over grown and being mowed down to keep it under control. 


The onion plants finally rooted down and they are all vertical now.  The gentle rains helped everything to grow and become establish. 


 The knock out roses are showing their first set of blooms. They overcame our dry weather and now have started to bud and bloom.


I forgot about this happening last year but when I set the oxalis outside the bunnies come and enjoy the leaves. This is a repeat of it happening and I would think I would have remembered how tasty that they are. 


The cottage garden has really filled in with blooms. I moved the birdbath into the cottage garden area because I didn't want to move it out of the way for the guy who mows the lawn. It fits here perfectly and the birds like it there too.

A quiet day today for us with the sun shining and the temperatures are pretty warm. We took an afternoon stroll around the gardens and I ended up picking more sparagus for supper.  It is nice to have the true green season back again.  Thanks for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

Sounds like you two had a nice day. I sure love the cottage garden and the bird bath is great there. The irises are both so pretty. How nice to enjoy asparagus for dinner. We have several very hot days coming up and are watering the Lantana we bought. I hope you both have a pleasant night.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Iris are beautiful!! That Cottage Garden is really pretty!

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Those Irises are about as colorful as the Tulip festival. We passed by a bunch of "wild" ones along he trail. A modge podge of various colors. I wonder how they got there in the middle of no where, Iowa.