Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Duluth, Minnesota....


The history of Duluth goes way back as always being a major shipping center for the area of the United States.  Both goods coming in and goods going out made it very important for Duluth and parts of Minnesota. Off in the far distance along the horizon of Lake Superior you can see a distant cargo ship waiting to come into the modern harbor.



Ships come in from as far as Europe and countries beyond .  The boats come in empty sometimes ready to be filled with grain, lumber, and iron ore. Corn and wheat and probably soybeans do go out on the boats. This boat is the same that you saw in the far distance.  It is waiting out there in this view as a large ship is leaving the port.






I didn’t get to the port soon enough to see it go by but I did get a shot of it leaving.



The bridge that goes over the channel has to be raised and lowered as the ships come and go. They blow a large horn twice very loudly to communicate to the ship.

The crew lives and works from this back of the boat.  It is also said people can rent rooms and ride along on the big ships.


Here you can see the ship going into the port to dock along the place where they will receive their cargo.

There are so many things that I have learned about this area but I won’t continue with that. We had not visited there for fifteen or more years and it was exciting to return.








My volunteer morning glory is looking good growing among th tomatoes. I originally planted them along the house but the birds have spread the seed. It was a surprise to see them but I am glad I quit cutting back the vine.

Enough for today.  I mowed this morning and I am in need of some rest now.  It keeps staying hot even though they predict we are going to cool down.  Thanks for stopping by today.


1 comment:

Laurel Wood said...

Beautiful photos. Interesting info from an area I've never visited, too. I once lived in NC, and traveled on ferrys often - I got "sea sick" every single time!
The morning glory is a gorgeous color. Do be careful in the heat. It is horrible here also.