Monday, August 5, 2019

Monday’s Report....


Two Harbors, Minnesota has a red brick lighthouse. I am sure it was needed to keep boats from running into the rocky shoreline. The whole area, the town, was a starting place for the 3M company. Iron ore was one of the major parts of its development.  Shipping of ore from out of one of its two harbors helped create the city.


Its structure could remind one of a school house but in reality they created the caretaker and workers place to live in a two story house with the tower connected.  There were still stairs to climb to get to the top of the tower.

I do not know for a fact that this is the outhouse. It does seem to be something that was used for that until the water systems were developed for the building.









This view shows a large ship that is used to receive iron ore pellets for shipping across the great lakes to the east coast. As the ore is laded the water blast is unloaded to keep the ship in the water at about the same level.

The ships like this also are loaded north of here at Silver Bay.  South of here at Duluth, Minnesota big ships like this come in to load up grain, lumber and coal.


To illustrate how big these cargo ships are, you can see this one coming in at the Duluth Harbor.

Two Harbors also displays the first steam engine train used to haul ore to the docks and the last engine that was used to deliver ore pellets. I will share that on another day.

So when we returned home, the zinnias had really grown taller. They are all covered with painted lady butterflies. When I went to the spot specifically to take photos they had all vanished.
I did capture one of them but this type of butterfly doesn’t keep its wings open while it is feeding.

I mowed at the old place today and the grass was getting tall. It got too hot for me to be mowing but I finished it off anyway. I made the decision that I won’t mow at the old place because the grass looks so brown.  We have to stock up on groceries now as we are back home. We enjoyed our trip and now enjoy resting up from it all.  Thanks for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

The red brick lighthouse is wonderful. I have always wanted to visit Minnesota. Larry's son lived there for several years and met his wife there. I enjoyed all the pics and the history of the area. Your zinnias are gorgeous. We have decided that our front flower bed under the big window must need all new dirt. Every plant out there seems stunted. That will be a project for next year as we both are struggling currently with leg pain. Welcome home.

The Furry Gnome said...

Don't think I've ever seen a red brick lighthouse!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cool lighthouse at Two Harbors, I guess I never realized it was a lighthouse! :)