Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Middle of the Week.....


My one visiting monarch frequents the zinnias.  He had become friendly as I stand out along the garden.  He hasn’t landed on me but comes really close.


One butterfly and a couple of humming birds are a nice addition to the garden. I think there are two hummingbirds and yet they are hard to tell apart when they come one bird at a time.

Back to the light house photos.  We were able to walk around the place experiencing the size of it. The craftsmanship is wonderful and I am sure there has been continue maintaining of the place.

The various windows are there for a reason as you can see by looking at the next photo.

There is a spiral staircase that takes one up to the top of the lighthouse. I am assuming that it is original and there never was a wooden staircase.




I did not climb the stairs this time but I have been up there probably 15 years or more. It is a one person size of stairs so one has to see if anyone is coming down when you want to  go upstairs.

Two keepers stand at the entrance to greet the visitors.
One entires the keepers main house through the back door.  One walks right in to see the woodturner stove. Guides are positioned in a few of the rooms. telling about the life of 1900s.

As a part of the storage area for the kitchen there is a built-in cupboard. There are more shelves singing the other walls framing a window. I didn’t ask the question but I am assuming that the wife of the keeper probably did all the cooing for their family.  All the supplies would be depend on what the ships bring in from the cities below them on the North Shore.

The house has been restored so the plaster walls were perfect. I am sure they had plaster workers redo them.  I lived in an old house as a kid where the smooth plaster was troweled on thee walls.  I am assume my own house was that way but people came in a spread popcorn lecture on ceilings and walls of our house.





A bedroom looked like this and I now noticed the hot water radiator in the room.  It was told that it was the government that paid and had the place built so the most modern things of the time were used.

Apparently a water tower type of system or water tank in the attic gave them the ability to have a bath tub and toilet.  I could imagine these could have been added in the 1920’s as new improvements were added to the house.
Opposite the cliffs of the lighthouse is an open bay with and island in that bay.  I am sure ships would hit that island just as easily as the cliff itself so the need for the lighthouse to be built.

We are having another rainy day for most of the day.  I have another appointment with dental guy and will take the rest of the day off.  I was going to mow the front yard but rain does stop that process.  I hope all is well out there. Thanks for stopping by today.

1 comment:

Laurel Wood said...

First of all, I hope the dental appt. goes well and you are not in a lot of pain.
I love the photo of the butterfly and the hummer.
It is interesting to see the keeper's home. Cooking would have been a huge undertaking! Amazing to see the addition of the tub and sink.
I can remember climbing stair like these to the top of the Hatteras Lighthouse once. Never again! lol
Thank you for sharing the pics and info about this beautiful lighthouse.