Monday, August 26, 2019

The Past and the Future.....


Staying put because its mother said so, the fawn ends up laying in the middle of a cemetery.  We were at a graveside funeral in Osceola, Iowa. It was a couple of years ago.  I emptied off photos from my wife’s old phone and I found this on it. I am amazed as to how nature is consistent in some behaviors. The fawn could have been dumped into a more wooded area and it would then wait there until its mother left it. It may not have been in early evening before the doe returned for its young one.



The new power system in town calls for a lot less poles and everything is going underground.  This pole thou is directly behind the shed making it look like it is a part of the garden shed. The cupola that was on top of the building had rotted off at its base and it is now in my new backyard as a garden ornament.



Another photo I  found on the cell was the birch tree at the old place.  It doesn’t look this good this summer as a worm or bug eat sections from the leaves.  It also hit a couple of apple trees.  The tree isn’t diseased but it is apparently tastey for that insect.



In the fall has such pretty color but this year it will be subtle with eighty percent of its leaves being gone.



At the old place I seemed to have taken photo of the corn ready to be picked last fall. Corn can be a beautiful green all summer but once is has died it stands looking like this.




Once it is picked the dead stalks are all disked up into the ground ready to recycle for spring. The field makes such drastic changes as it goes form green to dead to being machine picked.




The weather this spring helped change some of the decisions that the farmers make in what to plant. We went into a rainy season where they just could not get in the field. Soybeans can be planted later and they will be able to be harvested in time before it snows.  Here is the same field that has been planted in soybeans. There were a lot of fields in the area that switched over to soybeans.  China not wanting to buy them will mean that the farmers will maybe lose money on their corps.  It is good that they can be stored in grain bins for a very long time.


I had pictures of my repair work at the old place. I did the work myself and in time I am getting it all done.  I had to replace siding and repair siding in places.  A tot of it was left with white primer paint for a while but when I got the new coat of paint on it one would know had badly it looked.






The paint on the porch steps that was sold to me did not hold up in the weather.  I may have put it on on damp day but a lot of it just pealed of.  I will start over with a primer sealer paint to get it to stay on the steps.

Our new iPhones are great.  A lot of the things on them are duplicate apps that we have on our laptops.  It isn’t exactly a like but we both are doing well with using them.  Somethings do confuse me with the phone but I will get it sooner or later. I haven’t shot photos with my new cell but I am sure that I will.

We are having a droopy day today.  It is trying to rain but it isn’t. I cut out weeds and grass from some of the areas in the gardens this morning.  I also cut back the vine that wants to grow into our sunroom’s cooling unit.  I need to stay on the trimming back more often as it was somewhat difficult to get it removed.  I have piles of the vine, asparagus greens, and general weeds and grass.  I like to let it die a little bit before I bag it.

It feels like a Monday and I hope all is well with you.  Thanks for stopping by today. Stay safe.


5 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

It's amazing how those tiny deer stay in the spot that Momma placed them in...
~Jo

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Best of luck with your new phones, Larry. We upgraded ours earlier this year and it's still a learning process. I really don't know how other people manage so many apps on their phones as it can get overwhelming so I restrict mine as much as possible. The corm does look rather forlorn once it has turned brown and cut down.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It rained here today and has cooled off considerably. We are wet here...usually we are dry in August and the grass is brown...this year it is green. My husband likes sun tea too! Good to see photos of your old house and the cornfields! Poor fawn left in the cemetery:(

Laurel Wood said...

The fawn is so sweet. It is nice to see your old place. I know you have invested a lot of hard work into the home and yard. Glad you are getting used to your new phones. Cloudy and a little cooler here but still, no rain.

Rose said...

Is that sun tea? I cannot believe I have not made any this year...it is one of my favorite thirst quenchers...

The birch was beautiful, and love what I could see of your old house.