Thursday, January 18, 2024

First Junco.....


 

As it is snowing again in the backyard, I looked out and saw my first junco.  I grabbed my camera and got one shot.  I couldn't get only one shot but one is enough to prove the juncos have made it this far south.



The sparrows are now eating out of my vertical feeder.  Opening up the ports did make the seed ready for them to eat.

 
The starling also discovered that the openings are now open and it can get to the corn. I had three of them at the feeder this morning. They are almost too big to sit on that perch but they were hungry enough that they  did get the job done.
 

 I don't read any positive comments about this bird.  I was searching the bird to be sure I was correctly identify it and saw so many negative articles about them. This is my first sighting of them this season. 


It is going to snow long enough that it would be dark before I could use the snow blower.  It isn't a heavy snow and yet all my footprints in the snow on the deck are all filled in again. There will be wnd with this and drifting will happen again.  

We ate supper out last night and it was great.  We have been snowed in for a long time.  Supposedly we will be melting starting next Monday.  We are back into the deep freeze for a couple of days before that happens.  It is winter.  Thanks for stopping by today.

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Nice! I've seen Juncos since December but I must be further north of course.

I learned that they like to eat off the ground just like cardinals do. I didn't know that!
I have a lot more to learn about birds, that is for sure.

It just started snowing here again, but I don't think we will get very much.

It will get cold again!