Tuesday, September 24, 2019

A New Day Dawning...


A surprise bloom that I saw while taking shots of a monarch butterfly. I planted it new this spring and this is the first time for me to see it. I am questioning now if the bud shapes or spent blooms.  I am hoping that they are buds. I can't find anything on the  net that shows this kind of pod.
My volunteer bird seed sunflower is disappointing.  I can't take photos of something that is so wimpy and small.  I can see how they can combine these and get seed from them easily.

I can see the humming birds swarming and chasing one another as they try to get to the feeder.  While taking photos of the butterflies down there they would fly by me but not stay when I raised my camera  This is a zoomed photo from the deck.

The zoomed in shot shows the bird feeding in that narrow slot.  They must smell the sweet as there are not any small yellow flowers on this feeder to help find the opening.

I don't know what this butterfly is but I had plenty of them on my zinnias. Their wings fold up differently than any butterfly that I have ever seen. They look like a Star Wars space ship as the fold and bend them into the resting position. I saw these firs on Facebook as others were confused about its identity.

I can hear my one neighbor mowing his yard again.  I guess he thinks we need to mow every four days.  I was two days behind him as of yesterday but now he is one day behind me.

Thanks for stopping by today. 

1 comment:

L. D. said...

The seed pods next to the flower were actually from a button weed plant sitting next to it. I cut the plant down yesterday and the vine is without them.