Monday, September 9, 2019

Monday’s a Moody One......


Rain on deck this morning.  We had a thunderstorm that made a lot of noise early morning. We needed the rain so I didn’t complain. We can’t seem to keep up with the grass mowing but a year ago it was all dead grass.

The plastic geese get moved when I mow and their placement is not though out much.  I liked this one as it looks like the goose is looking around the corner to watch while the female is eating.  The female is always eating.


The tomato plant does make a fine trellis for the volunteer morning glories. They are all folded up by noon rain or shine.  The cherry sized tomatoes are needing to be picked again.  It takes time to do that but I don’t always have a container with me to do that.  My neighbor lady carries an old woman purse to put here tomatoes into as she is out there.

This is a blurry shot of my new purchase.  I had one that was very large at one time.  I saw in a garden magazine that they had them outside on the patio.  I put mine outside and it died, burned up, immediately.  This sale item was out and about and I had to buy it.  I have memories of the mother-in-law tongue in my mom’s house when I was younger. I am sure someone shared it with her as of that time plants were not so easy to find to buy.  Plants were shared a lot in the 50s and 60s. I will need to repot this into something more sturdy than the plastic one that it is now growing.


The zinnia seed that I bought had a flower with specks of colors in it. You can see one in the top header.  But genes from this seed got confused. The yellow side has the yellow with red streaks and specks but the red side is pure red. I guess this is the one part of the genetic ladder when you don’t get one kind or another but you get a mix.  I am sure a scientists that specializes in genetics would not be surprised to see this misfit.

A mixed flower looks like this and I just bought the seed at Wally Mart.

It is a cloudy day today and it is still wet outside.  Humidity is high even though the temps are not so unbearable. I don’t have along lists of things to do today but I should do something other than drink coffee.  I hope all will have a good day today.  Stay strong.  Thanks....for stopping by.


chimera zinnia

3 comments:

Rose said...

When I was a kid, a lot of people seemed to have Mother-in-law's tongue. And yes, people always passed stuff around.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is a great Zinnia...I used to know what it would be called a Chimera I think,,,genetics:) Rained almost all day here. Your deck looks great in the rain I bet you sat in your sunroom a good part of the rainy day!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I never knew the name of that plant, thanks for the ID, Larry. We are due fir some rain hopefully this week. It has cooled down here and really nice temps this week. The zinnia with the multi colors was beautiful to see.