Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Middle of the Week Report.....


I crossed the bridge yesterday and saw pelicans down below feeding along the shore. I have not been down here as it has been underwater most of the spring.  The water was held back at the damn to prevent flooding and they have gradually let it go down the Des Moines River. The lake was 41 feet higher than normal taking the water level up to the bottom of the horizontal T/s of the supports.

I almost forgot to mention that your screen isn’t dirty but that is a dragonfly in the photo.  I of course did not plan that but it is neat to see.


The road down to the boat ramp looks like this as it passes by the highway at the top of the phot.o  The water was high enough for all the dead wood to drift up agains the banks of the road.

Some large trees that were along the edge of the water were lifted and ended up here.  I saw all the debris floating in the water along the road and hit probably was all along on top go the gravel road. I could have cropped out the truck mirror but I thought it helped in showing the proportions of the bank littered with dead trees and limbs.


This photo does show the bad pictures that I got of the pelicans.  My cell phone would cooperate and I couldn’t zoom with it.  I will learn.  The thing you can see here is the erosion on the side of the embankment next to the lake.  Every line in the clay soil shows the different levels of the water as it receded. The water was so high that the land here which had growing shrub material was completely covered in water and you could not see that tree, growth line in the water.


A closer look shows they almost look like pelicans. There are a lot of them on another lake south of here called Red Rock.  I have seen others getting great pictures of them as they are migrating south now.


My yellow rose planted at the foot of the stairs is growing so well.  I just bought it this spring and it has been worth it’s cost.
I have many blooms coming at the ends of four or five stems.



My oxalis in the big pot as started to put on more buds and blooms.  I forget that it is now in the shade when it is under the sunroom so I have to move it out from under the shade.

Mowed my lawn today and it sure was needing it. We have a green lawn this time of the year and that is unusual.  The neighbor mowed his two days ago and my height was an inch lower than his.  We are having to mow about every five to six days.  Thanks for stopping by today.  We are going to have a warm day again today.


3 comments:

Rose said...

I am not sure how I would feel being on the bridge with the water that high! I love yellow roses...

Laurel Wood said...

many years ago, I had oxalis and really loved it. Your yellow rose is a beauty. So glad it has grown so well for you. I enjoy seeing the lake and the road down to the boat ramp.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That yellow rose is lovely! :) I am partial to yellow flowers!