Monday, August 30, 2021

Monday is Here....

 

Friendly clouds to the northwest. The yellow peak is my neighbor's house. When you live in rows of little boxes the neighbor's house will always show up in the photos.  



The clouds to the southeast don't look so friendly but they did go away.  The sun is in there somewhere partially up on the horizon.

 


 

The guy who gifted me this chest did not make me feel  guilty about having it.  I just flet guily that he didn't take it. Eric is one of my former students from 15 years ago.  He and his sister and one brother were closing down their dad's farm place last year.  The father has been an antique fanatic collecting all sorts of old cabinets and tables at auction. The three kids were now readying all his stuff to take to an auction at a larger city, Winterset.  

 Eric had followed me on facebook and would see the rustic dumpy things that I would rescue from dirt and disrepair when I posted the finish things on fb. So this dresser was in a shed and was in pieces with drawers falling apart and the base of the dresser held together with cord because all of the joints of the frame were not connected.  The top of it was just hanging on with a couple of nails.  He wrote me a note and told me he had something for me but would not tell me what it was.  When I saw the walnut carved handles I was so impressed that I didn't care what shape it was in.  They just loaded all the parts into the truck. They certainly could not take it to an auction in that shape.

 

 

A year later after all my health problems I did start working on the drawers.  When I got it all done I was feeling guilty that I had such a wonderful piece and I felt badly that Eric had to give it up.  In facebook the other day he wrote that he was so glad that I had it because they were going to put it into the burn pile.  All the stuff they had to deal with was too much and burning it up was the only solution.  Now I don't feel so guilty. We are really enjoying it in our dining room and I keep marveling at how historic and wonderful it looks.  I found chests like this with the dates starting at 1860s. 

 

 

We are having a warm day but it isn't in the extreme as of yet.  I have done some things outside like trimming back two rose bushes and spraying for a creeping charlie patch in my one corner of the yard. I hope all are doing well today. Thanks for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

The dresser got a new lease on life...it is a beauty! You put lots of work into it!

Laurel Wood said...

I am happy this gorgeous old chest got a new lease on life. It truly is beautiful and a real treasure. I like the way you and Della have decorated on and around it. It is a priceless treasure.

The Furry Gnome said...

Your place is certainly a lot better than the burn pile for that dresser now that you've restored it!