Thursday, February 29, 2024

Thursday's Things.....

 

At our old house where we had lived for 30 years, we had an art gallery.  We built a new addition to the house during our second year of marriage. The big room became an art gallery for two artists and studio space also.  Once the gallery opened we had people who wanted us to frame things for them.  We found a company to order frames and our framing business was open. Every Saturday we ran a business out of our house and week days we were having people dropping by with appointment. It was nice to  move away from that after so many years of that.

When we moved to our newer home we thought we wouldn't have a display area ever again.  Once we moved in we discovered in our lower area two lighted walls in a space that had been intended for a television room. Instead of putting couches up against those walls I instead started hanging art work.  It was a big space but I still didn't get everything hung.  Some things are still in a closet. 

 


My early modern works are not  hanging with the group.  I painted this in 1972 for an painting class I was in at Iowa State University.  The stairs are actually not these colors but are made of cast concrete.  It is the C.Y. Stephens Auditorium.  The stairs take people up to the main entrance of the building.  I have always liked the painting as I chose to pick analogous colors to make it be a modern work.


This is a borrowed photo from ISU of C.Y. Stephens.  It is a beautiful place inside. You can see the stairways that go up to the entrance of the building.  I photographed it at all angles while it was being built as a college student and then created the painting from my black and white photo. The area was developed into a new football stadium to the south and a basketball gym about the same size as this building. Also a dramatic arts building is there.  Now in development is a shopping center being built to interest sports people with it being the first in the nation to be created. 

I picked up groceries this morning and the weather was better than yesterday.  We actually hit 9°F yesterday and today we are up to 53° F.  It was a good day to shop even though our wind is still pretty wild.  It is Thursday and I am ready to rest for the afternoon.  Friday is coming and I will be glad in that. Thanks for checking in today.

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Beautiful art!

I am hopeless when it comes to drawing or painting.