Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Checking In.......


The clouds in the sky at night have kept me from seeing any phase changes of the moon.  I knew it was up there but last night I saw it from my front door steps. We are having colder nights and it will be time for a full moon, a harvest moon, with the crackle of leaves under feet.

I went to a local business yesterday and came back with a renewed skill of hearing.  I knew I was not hearing things but it has been a gradual change. I can now hear the turn signals in the car and coffee water falling into the carafe as it is being made. I have been missing so many sounds that are taken for granted.  We went out to eat and we live in a noisy town with all that traffic. I did live in a quiet world. 

We lost a friend, former sister-in-law, yesterday from cancer. Ellen was my age and married my brother in the early 70's.  They lived in Arizona and early on had a baby boy named Chad.  Chad had been diagnosed with leukemia and died at the age of two years old.  His loss destroyed their lives and Ellen and my brother divorced a couple of years later. Ellen remained a part of the family on the fringe the past many years even through the loss of my brother in 2008.  I am happy that the past few years that Ellen remarried a wonderful guy and had such a great life living in New York hills in the summers and back in Arizona in winters. She loved dogs and kept track of our two boys watching them growing up.  I feel badly that we could not be a part of her last year of life except only through facebook.  I did see that both my boys were friends on Fb even though they had never met her. I have so many photos but really just felt that I couldn't share them.

Our son who visited for a couple of days, going to the Iowa State game, is back at work today. Air flight is so magical to get people too and from in this country.  I am glad we hooked up for that while.

I have two yards to mow and I am choosing to mow the easier one here at home first.  It will be cold out there but usually it warms up while I work. I have an older brother in the area now and will try to get a chance to see him this week.  Thanks for stopping by today.




2 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Condolences on the passing of your former sister in law, Larry. It was nice that she remained close to your family as divorce often removes that connection. Glad your sos made it back home safely and that you had a nice visit.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sorry to hear about your sister in law...divorce ...you described it well "on the fringes" she sounded like she was a nice lady :(