Saturday, October 19, 2019

Saturdays Sharing......


You can guess where we are here.  The mall was really crowded again this Saturday. We both had mocha lattes and shared a cookie. 

The burning bushes at the old place are starting to turn. The one in the foreground is just  barely starting.  Our one at the new place has not thought of turning any leaf to red yet.

Some of the leaves on the trees are turning brown which is not a good sign.












The neighbors across the street have only the one changing its leaf color. I don't have to mow so much up there but I will have to mulch leaves eventually.

It is a small world story for you today.  I was born in an area, the rental farm was considered my home base, which had a small town of Hopeville nearby. It was southern Iowa. That was back in 1950.  My wife has been doing some digging on her side of the family. She knew things but not specifics.  She found out that the small town of Elston, Iowa, which is 15 miles by the way that the  crow flys, is where her great grandparents lived. It would have been a whole generation and a half before me, but her great grand father was buried in one of the three cemeteries in or near Elston. He is in a cemetery called Pumptown Cemetery. She found that he does not have a stone to mark his grave but the Great Grandfathers siblings are all buried in his same cemetery and in another one there. My wife really had not know specifically but found the Ringold County is the one next to my Clarke county. I consider that a very near miss when it comes to having lived near where her distant ones lived.

My wife's grand father from that family did move up to Valley Junction, now called West Des Moines. He and others from his family moved there and worked for the train companies that were there. A lot of that next generation is buried there in a cemetery called Jordan Cemetery. I am sure more will be found as my wife keeps digging in the past.


We are having a nice warm day today with sunshine and very little wind. It did rain almost all of the morning but we are drying out now.

Thanks for stopping by today.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting bit of family history! Wish I had more time to do research! I hears the s word agin for this week:(