Friday, October 18, 2019

Last of the Week.....


The morning view is shown with the sun up over the horizon. The clouds are streaming away and a jet vapor trail is also in the photo.

The vine honeysuckle is putting out two sets of blooms one last tim. I really like this shrub as it needs no upkeep. I inherited this on the east side of the house along with some terraced asparagus all down the side of the hill. That end of the house has a steep hill that is rough to walk down. I am getting use to it but I think steps really do need to put in there.

I worked on this patio again yesterday.  I dumped some good soil in the area next to the post's base. I can plant something there in the spring and some water from the deck above will land on it. I filled in the cracks of the pavers with sand yesterday and it really did firm up the area.  I  know in the spring that I will have to refill the cracks as it does all settle.
My collection of bricks that were at the old house are being put to good use now. I put dirt in to level up the bottom surface and then placed the  old brick in lengthwise. What is neat now is that I can pick out the bricks that I have saved and each brick has its own history. A lot of the plain bricks I believed came from the old chimney that was built at the kitchen, summer kitchen.  I could see where it once was on the cedar siding outside. I bet an old wood burning stove had that as a chimney. The brick from that seemed to be buried here and there all over the property as I would dig for garden work. Other bricks came from my parents home and some were in a pile down by a mining town called Moran.  The houses were being tone down to make way for the new double lane of the highway.

It actually was a lot of work to get them placed in there but it really was worth it. It will keep things from growing along that wall. I was told that there was an old coal house on the old property and I think that some of these came from the foundation.  I am going to line the opposite side of the patio with this same design.  I had to collect another dozen of the brick from the old place today while I was up there mowing.  I had lined some of my flower gardens with the brick.  When I started moving these down to the new place I had a sidewalk in mine for ther use but this is good too.

It has warmed up finally today.  I mowed with a parka and hood to keep warm today but now it is almots 66 degrees F.

I hope all is well with everyone.  Thanks for stopping by today.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great looking edging! Recycling at it's best! :)