Friday, September 23, 2022

Pottery....


 I really like to work on the potter's wheel.  I never thought about becoming a popular potter as there seems to be way to many of them out there.  I like the chunky pots they make for normal use of coffee drinking and other types of human use.  I really am looking for a more artistic refined shape of clay pottery that reflects good design with it shape and surface being more classic.  This bowl shape could echo the clay mixing bowl shapes but it also echos the classic Chinese carved bowls. 


It is sort of a folly for me as I am making things that I don't need.  I am working for the creative energy that has to be used to make a more perfect pot.  The wood shop is being invaded by this exercise. The throwing of pots is keeping me from doing other projects that I am interested in but when the weather turns cold I can't work on the outside potter's wheel. 


I am using recycled clay.  It is inferior as I have to get it wet enough to work with and not to soft to keep me from working with it. I get into trouble with recycled clay as sometimes there are dryer chunks in the clay.  As I work with it I may have a taller vase that ends up being a small bowl because the chunk messed up the middle of the pot and it tears apart. I searched for a place to buy processed clay and I found a place in Iowa City.  It is two hours drive away from where we live.  I looked again on the net  a couple of weeks ago and found a wonderful art store that is in downtown Des Moines.  Instead of two hours travel it is only eight miles from where I live. My goal is to use up all of the recycled clay first before I consider buying processed, pugged clay.  I did find glazes at the downtown store so I don't have to pay shipping for theat.



My old table that held my saw is now being used for a drying surface for clay pots. The dryer they become the more white the do become. 



A large majority of the potters who mass produce things for sales don't take the time to carve the foot of their pots.  I follow a young potter on the net who makes wonderful mugs and bowls but he never finishes off the pieces.  My university college professor would scold him for leaving the bottoms flat.  That young potter sells most of his things locally and he is a good craftsman.  I am trying to regroup and perfect the art of pottery as I rebuild all my pottery making muscles.  

Thanks for stopping by today.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a great project! You are very talented!! I alway admire hand made pottery:)