Wednesday, September 14, 2022

The Potter's Story....


 In a perfect photo in a perfect world one would not want to have bugs on the perfect rose.  This one is a lady bug. It is resting peacefully and I didn't disturb it.



The ever changing colors of this rose make one have a pink rose at time and then a yellow rose also.  It is a fun way to get the varied colors from one bush.

 

When I started teaching at my last school they bought for me this potters wheel.  I had two of them just like it at the previous school.  Thirty one years later when I left the next art teacher wanted it out of the room.  That teacher wasn't into pottery and this wheel was headed for the storage garage for life.  It was given to me by the school.  I have had it for many years and just now this year I have started to use it.  It sat at the back patio for four years before I finally got on it.

 

When I quit teaching there was a lot of old clay that was dry and hard.  It was unuseable and destined to go into the dumpster.  I brought that old clay and stored it in my garden shed. When we moved I also moved that clay.  Six months ago I put all the dried clay into one big plastic bin with a lid.  I poured buckets of water on it and it sat until it had revived. Clay is not like soil and it has to ooze water into it. About two weeks ago I did work up some balls of clay and started working on the wheel again.

 


The electric motor and drive shaft on this free wheel is shot so I have to just kick the wheel by foot.  I have to kick it to get it going and then I work until the heavy wheel below slows down too much.  I have to stop working with my hands and kick it again to get the momentum going again.  I had a girl in one of my classes that refused to use the power and she sat barefoot each day and kicked it as she worked.  It seemed more natural for her and the power did really make it go too fast. 




After a pot has been removed from the wheel, it sets for one day to partially dry.  Then it is flipped over and the base of it has to be carved, creating a foot for the pot.  I attach the upside down pot with balls of clay and then again spin it while carving it with a special tool. I have completed about 14 of these so far.  I needed to practice up and get into shape to create a good pot. 

I have used up half of my recycled clay now. I took today off from throwing pots to mow the back yard. I still have lots of dried out, dormant spots but the grass was getting tall.  The dew puts moisture on it and it helps a lot.

We have warmed up now but are not too  hot.  It is sunny and we do smell a little smoke from a forest fire.  Thanks for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Val Ewing said...

That is one thing I never learned to do it pottery other than the rudimentary pot I may have made in elementary school.
What a great project.

The roses are incredible. I may tryin growing some in the future.

The Furry Gnome said...

I'm impressed! Nice pots!

Far Side of Fifty said...

How wonderful that you revived your old clay and your potters wheel! I bet you are very good at making pots!